Sunday, June 07, 2009

Great Faith Versus Little Faith !

As I was waiting for the newly fitted lift at my block, I peeped through the glass door and saw only some ropes dangling as the lift made its way up to the top floor before it would descend.

"Scary!" I thought to myself. "What if the wires or ropes were to break? Do they really have the strength to carry so much weight?" I smiled because my block only has 13 storeys. I have been on lifts to floors as high as 101 when I was in Taipei!

Amazing how people would have faith in lifts, planes, buses, taxis, etc. Yet, when we tell them that God created this world and everything in it, some would actually doubt. Some philosophers even believed in Darwin and some people believe we actually orginate from the apes!

In my work, when I tell clients to quickly buy the properties during a quiet market, many would doubt. Despite telling them that my hunch told me that prices would soon be on the rise, some doubted me. Some actually chose to trust their friends who are investors, but which investor could beat a good agent who has been in the market for almost 15 years and like a good doctor, could actually feel the pulse of the market?

I guess the Creator understands His homo sapiens, for He only asks us to have faith as small as a mustard seed! As a child in a Sunday School class I had often wondered why the Creator never asked us to have faith the size of a football, or perhaps smaller like a tennis ball, or perhaps even smaller like a ping pong?

Now I realise that it is difficult for many people to have faith as small as a mustard seed for the more they analyse, the more they become paralysed with fear, doubt, confusion and anxiety.

No wonder we often like to say in Mandarin "Sha ren yiu sha fu" - direct translation, "Stupid people have stupid luck" or in Hokkien "Kiang lang chiak gong lang; gong lang chiak ti kong" - direct translation, "The clever people eat up stupid people; the stupid people eat up God".

Life will certainly be easier and happier when we have a little mustard seed of faith.

Gan Chau

No comments: