Friday, April 25, 2008

My Most Popular Blog Article

 

With my colleagues from Dennis Wee Group at our annual Retreat!
 

It takes guts and grit to survive!
Posted by Picasa


Ever so often, I like to check into the referral of my blog to find out more about my readers. If ever there is a most popularly googled article in my blog it must be this one, "So Fat, And You Did the Flying Fox? Interestingly, the readers were mostly from England and Europe! Is flying fox the latest craze over there now? Why the acute interest in fining out more about flying fox?

I will republish this article here.

"My eldest sister called me from Kuching. I told her my body was aching all over because of the survivor course and the flying fox at our Company retreat in Changi. I explained to her what we did.

"So fat! And you did the flying fox? What if the wire breaks?" asked sis, incredulous.

"My boss, Dr. Dennis Wee and Senior Associate Vice-President, Mr. Lionel Ng, encouraged me to go up there. They said I'd regret for it would be once in a life time so I went up lah", I told my sis casually.

In reality, it was frightening for I have phobia for heights. I remember when I first came to Singapore, I dared not even look out of my friend's 12th storey apartment. I had tried roller coaster and downhill skiing before, but at least you have your feet rooted to something. For the flying fox, your feet are dangling in the air, with only a security hook and a little T-bar to support your buttocks. Then you zoom down from a three storey height. I remember telling the staff on duty that I would like to retreat but he was so encouraging.

I tried to talk Lionel out of persuading me. "What if I had a heart attack? I'm never afraid of death....but I do not want anyone to feel guilty or let my siblings end up suing the company!" In reality, I know I have a strong heart albeit my heavy weight. But we have also heard of youngsters dying of heart attacks after some jogging.

When I zoomed down, I realised that the ropes which I held on were a little too long so that I had my arms wide open, and I clung to the ropes for dear life. Due to over-exertion the arms ached terribly the next day.

Mm....quite fun after all. It would not be the first and last time. I am going up there again next year during the company retreat. If a 53 year old lady like me could do it, anyone also can lah. Join me.....anyobe?"

In fact, prior to our annual Company's retreat, I had not even heard of flying fox! When I saw my colleagues in action, I marvelled at my brave colleagues, zooming down from such a height!

Now I want to laugh, because I realised when I came back from the Retreat that I had no contact lens on! My vision was quite blur the whole day! I only wear a contact lens on left eye so that I can see both far and near. If I were to wear contacts on both eyes, I would need a reading glass. Hence I came up with the economical and practical idea of wearing only one lens.

It was actually a blessing in disguise for having lost my contact lens, because if I had my contact lens on, I might have retreated! Somehow the less than sharp eyesight had clouded the situation somewhat, so that it seemed less frightening!

Flying fox, anyone? You must try it at least once in your lifetime!

No comments: