Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Occupational Job Hazards

It was only yesterday when my eldest brother Kee Yong and I discussed the differences in real estate in North America and Singapore. Brother told me that many home owners were very angry with the banks, and they left the properties, ruined and dilapidated for the banks to take over! Some had purposely damaged the units by way of revenge.

Brother also thought it was not safe for ladies to be real estate agents in America. Especially when most of the houses are big and some are located in sometimes very remote areas. I proudly declared to brother that in Singapore it is very safe.

A few years ago, a buyer had called me at 11.00p.m. and said that he would liike to view my clients' apartment in River Valley Area. He had just arrived in Singapore and had limited time. He wanted me to pick him and his wife up at Changi Chalet! Although my hunch told me that the buyer sounded genuine, I thought it was safer for me to ask a good friend to come along. Douglas obliged, and went with me to pick up the clients. The couple saw the apartment at midnight, and later, we took them for supper at Newton Circus and drove them back to Changi. The next morning they confirmed the purchase of the unit.

Hence, it was quite ironical when I stumbled upon the news below in the website under "Singapore Properties".


Amorous clients just one of the job hazards

IN APRIL last year, housing agent Serene Chua, 26, received a call from someone wanting to sell his flat in Chinatown.

They arranged to meet at his block, but he would not give her a specific unit number. When she arrived at the stairwell, a man started punching her and grabbed her handbag.

She was too stunned to cry out, but fled fast enough to escape further harm.

The year before, a Boon Lay home owner, whose flat was on the market, often asked her to 'go shopping' with him, which she declined.

But during one discussion at his flat, he suddenly grabbed her hand and kissed it. She left immediately, but he kept up with his SMS propositions for six months before giving up.

The two incidents shook Ms Chua, a Life Sciences graduate from the National University of Singapore, but she is far from quitting the real estate industry.

She just shrugs them off as job hazards she has to contend with in return for the freedom and high potential income it can bring.

'It can be dangerous, but there are pros and cons to all jobs. If I am an accountant, for example, I would have to be very careful with numbers. If I add an extra zero, I could be jailed,' she reasons.

Housing agents like her get to encounter up close - and often too personally - the best and worst in property owners and buyers islandwide.

Since many agents advertise their clients' properties along with their names, mobile phone numbers and glamour shots, they often attract unwanted attention.

Boyish-looking PropNex housing agent Jude Teem, 35, gets frequent calls and SMSes asking if he is keen to provide sexual services to rich women. The SMSes read: 'Are you keen to serve my tai tai?'

He never replies, not even with a simple 'No', in case it gives them the wrong idea.

Meanwhile, a home owner once offered Dennis Wee Group agent Germaine Ng, 35, an air ticket to Paris when his wife was not around. He had wanted to go on the trip with her.

Ms Ng, who is married with a nine-year-old daughter, politely declined. But she refuses to judge her client. 'We are human beings with feelings... They're just trying to show their affection. That's okay,' she says.

Then there are those who treat agents as runners. Mr Eric Cheng, executive director of HSR property group, once had to deal with a family who gave him orders for dishes like char kway teow and carrot cake whenever he took potential buyers to view their flat.

'They were very comfortable with me,' says the property chief.

Harder to deal with are financially troubled property sellers who delay paying their commissions after the transaction goes through.

About 5 per cent of PropNex's more than 2,000 deals every month run into such problems. While most eventually pay up, some involve a long process of mediation - where the client may be offered the chance to pay by instalment - or a trip to the Small Claims Tribunal if no settlement is reached.

Then there are clients who back out of deals altogether after shaking hands on it earlier, putting agents at the mercy of frustrated buyers.

PropNex agent Randy Yeo, 36, dealt with an owner last year who wanted $11 million for his Orchard Road condominium unit. When Mr Yeo found a buyer willing to pay that price, the owner took the $11 million cheque, only to change his mind half an hour later.

Mr Yeo recalls: 'He said the market was getting better, and that he could sell it for $13 million in one to two weeks' time.'

The buyer, of course, was furious with the about-turn and gave Mr Yeo a shelling.

The condo unit in question did eventually change hands a few months down the road - for $10.5 million.

This story was first published in The Straits Times on Apr 19, 2008.

This is one of the reasons why I never advertised my properties for sale with my photo. The only time my photos appeared in the Straits Times was when my company published the names of top agents. Even though I am a plain Choo, I still receive sms and calls from strange guys who want to invite me for dinner! Can you imagine the onslaught of unwanted attention my prettier and younger colleagues would have received?

So far I have been blessed with good clients. Nevertheless, I am glad that I have taken up Chinese kung-fu, and will not hesitate to use my pugilistic skills if, and whenever necessary! Moreover, my loud piercing voice can cut through glass! :-)

Gan Chau

No comments: