Sunday, April 06, 2008

Happiness is a Many Splendoured Thing!

My best friend, Choon Lian, sent me this email which I would like to share with readers, especially now that the subject of wellness is in the air. I wish Mr. Philip Merry and his team success in finding the "Happiest Person in Singapore".

"A man of 92 years, short, confident and well groomed, is moving into an old folks' home today. His wife of 70 years recently died and he is obliged to leave his home. After waiting for several hours in the retirement home, he gently smiles as he is told that his room is ready.

As he slowly walks to the elevator using his cane, I describe his small room to him, including the sheet, hung at the window which serves as a curtain.

"I like it very much", he says with the enthusiasm of an 8 year old boy who has just been given a new puppy.

"Sir, you haven't even seen the room yet, hang on a moment, we're almost there."

"That has nothing to do with it", he replies.

"Happiness is something I choose in advance, whether or not I like the room does not depend on the furniture, or the decor - rather it depends on how I decide to see it.
It is already decided in my mind that I like my room It is a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I can choose. I can spend my day in bed enumerating all the difficulties that I have with parts of my body that no longer work very well, or I can get up and give thanks to heaven for the parts that are still in working order."

Everyday is a gift as long as I can open my eyes, I will focus on the new day, and all the happy memories that I have built up during my life. Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw in later life what you have deposited along the way. So my advice to you is to deposit all the happiness you can in your bank account of memories.

Remember these simple guidelines for happiness:-

1) Free your heart from hate.

2) Free you mind from worry.

3) Live simple.

4) Give more.

5) Expect less.

Strangely, the 92 year old man reminds me of my beloved papa. Papa was always cheerful and happy. Now I understand that every morning, when papa woke up, he must have, like the old man, decided he would be happy, no matter what happened!

I hope this article will encourage all my readers in their pursuit of happiness. Happiness is a choice; and the choice is yours - to be happy or to be affected by conditions around us. I know I will always decide to be happy and never let anyone or circumstances rob me of my joy!

Gan Chau

No comments: