Friday, April 11, 2008

The world is a stage....

Just as I finished typing on the computer at midnight, eldest brother came to me and said, "Sis, I'm feeling very uncomfortable. Seeing that he was so pale, I decided to call DTM Dr. Barry Tan for advice. Barry had just finished his shift work at the hospital, and he suggested that I should bring my brother to the A and E, just to be safe. Later I called Barry and asked if we could go to KK Hospital A and E since it is very near my apartment. Barry laughed, "No...no....they only see young children and ladies. They would turn your brother away". I laughed when I remembered that the hospital is famous for delivering babies!

At the A and E, Singapore General Hospital, there was this nursing attendant who immediately took brother's pressure and temperature. He also put brother on a wheel chair and wheeled him into the building, while I saw to the registration.

Brother was given an ex ray and blood test. In between, I had to sit in the waiting lounge. What a picture of excitement. Nurses were walking briskly, with some almost running as ambulances brought in casualties. There was a Malay man who obviously had an accident as his cheeks were badly grazed and bloody. Suddenly I remember a friend from Penang, Susie, who is a nurse, and she told me that she loves to work in the A and E Department. The more serious the casualty, the more challenged she feels, as she helps the doctor in the surgery. In a calm manner, she shared with us how she had seen detached legs and hands which were attached back again, etc.

I found a chair which was placed against a wall, and decided to rest on this chair. Later, I turned the chair in front around so that I could put my legs up. I was totally exhausted and fell into deep slumber, only to be woken up by another siren from an ambulance. Later, I saw some policemen, leading a man whose legs were leg-cuffed together. Obviously the man had come to the A and E for medical attention.
Immediately I thought of Mas Selamat, and wondered why his legs were not cuffed together. If they had been, he might not have put the whole country on a wild goose chase!!!

Despite finding that everything was normal, the cautious doctor wanted my brother to be put in the observation ward till the following morning.

Brother is very impressed with the efficiency of the Singapore General Hospital.
If I ever become a nurse or a doctor, I would also like to work in the A and E Department. I prefer the hustle and bustle of a busy A and E Ward, rather than the deadly quiet and peace of a normal ward. When I was observing the activities, it was like watching the movie, ER. Indeed the world is a stage and we are all but actors and actresses on this large stage of life. Hang on a second...... I can never play the role of a nurse or a doctor.! Blood.....help......arghh!!

Gan Chau

No comments: