Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Cheers to Mobility and Agility!

Eldest brother Kee Yong was arriving at Changi Airport at 8.00p.m. As usual, whenever someone is coming to stay with me, it would motivate me to spring clean the home so as to welcome my guest. In between work, I cleaned the apartment. As usual, just when I was rushing, I would receive a barrage of phone calls! I left my home at 7.30p.m. and to my pleasant surprise, I reached Terminal 1 at 8.10p.m.! I guess the MRT is the best form of transport during rush hour. I had anticipated brother Kee Yong to be out with his luggage around 8.20 to 8.30p.m. Instead he arrived at 7.48p.m. and was out with his bags around 8.10p.m. Wow! Our Changi Airport is super duper efficient!

I love Changi Airport! I am always so happy and excited about being in the airport. It gives me tremendous pride to see everything sparkling new and clean. I took a taxi back to my home in Little India, and the fare came to only $17.00! I still remember the first time my friends and I took the taxi from Los Angeles Airport to my best friend's apartment. Yin Chung Sil could not drive then, and we told her not to come to the airport to pick us up. I remember the taxi meter clicking very fast, and with each click, it showed an increase of US10 cents. Each time the meter clicked, my heart jumped. The fare totalled US84.60!

I thought of my brother Kee Seng's lovely condominium in Sungei Ara, Penang. I would have to walk down the hill to the main road to catch a bus. Sometimes it would take 25 to 35 minutes for the bus to arrive.

Hence it always makes me appreciative of our wonderful infrastructure in Singapore. Now that I can no longer drive, (due to poor balance caused by my chronic ear problems), I happily zip around the island in trains, buses and taxis. Of course, my best mode of transport is my own branded "kar" No. 11 (legs in Hokkien). I am happy to walk to and from my office when I am not in a hurry, and to walk around Little India to show clients some properties. It is indeed the best "kar" in the world - no necessity to have petrol, cash card and car park coupons, insurance and potential threats of vandalism etc. In fact, the "kar" get stronger and stronger with more usage!

Cheers to mobility and agility!

Gan Chau

No comments: