Thursday, October 29, 2009

Happiness is ......(13)

I have never ceased to be amazed by how much God loves us. For the past three and a half decades since papa passed away, I had been in the habit of just telling Heavenly Papa everything that has troubled me or just things that I am grateful for.

Hence, the hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" has always been my favourite for the tune is lovely and the wordings so real and appropriate. For my readers who are not familiar with the hymn, I will write down the lyrics by Joseph Scriven (1819-1886).

"What a Friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry,
Everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry,
Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful?
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Saviour, still our refuge,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee,
Take it to the Lord in prayer,
In His arms He'll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

(Readers can also google and there are many different singers and groups on U-Tube).

I will be sharing with my readers little incidents of blessings that have taken place. This has taught me that if God is interested in even little things, would He not even be more concerned with "big issues" in our lives like career, marriage, family, etc." Perhaps it is this understanding that I can continue to sleep and eat well even when there is trouble looming over my head.

Recently, I was thrilled and happy when my ex-tenant, Avinesh, called me to say that since he is getting his own apartment, he would like to take back his subscription of Star Hub programs. Avinesh had moved and rented a room from a Malay family, but realised he would be happier to get a whole apartment where he can have more freedom and privacy. I had subscribed to Cable Vision because of my tenants who want to watch programs from their country eg. Zee TV, Star Plus, etc. I had subscribed under the name of my tenant, Avinesh. After he and Jasmin left, I realised I could not turn on my favourite Animal Planet and Discovery programs. My neighbours tried to help, and they too could not figure out. To my horror, I found that even my Channel 8 had disappeared. The staff from Starhub told me I would have to pay if the company were to send a technician to my home to fix the problem. I did not bother for I am contented to watch our own local channels.

Hence, Avinesh came to my home and he helped to re-tune the television. To my joy, Channel 8 was reinstated and better still, I could get the Okto channel!

If Avinesh had not taken over the subscription, I would have to continue with the subscription till next September! I just love the programs on Okto for I could watch animal programs, programs on mystery and orchestral performances as well.

With so many interesting programs to watch, there is no necessity for me to subscribe to Starhub's Cable Vision. I don't like things to become white elephants in my home.

Frankly, I had not expected this outcome as I thought I would have to keep paying subscription fees till next year in September!

Recently, I have learnt to play by ear "Amazing Grace" and "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" on the violin. Whenever I practise my violin, I would begin with playing the above hymns. The hyms remind me of God's amazing grace and his love and blessings.

The hymns also remind me that even as I enjoy God's blessings and friendship, I must also be a good friend to the friends I love as well as those I am not too fond of, for if I were to enjoy the amazing grace of God, I too should learn to be as gracious as possible.

Gan Chau

No comments: