Friday, May 09, 2008

The Art of Receiving

A few months after I moved to my current apartment, my tenant, Yiwei, told me that the Chairman of our block came to visit me, and to inform me that the government was going to give me some money. Wow! The government giving me money? He left me a number to call him. Surprised, I called the Chairman, and I was even more puzzled when he commented, "Oh, you speak excellent English!" I told him I am a teacher of English Language, and he told me he thought I was some illiterate lady who did not know about the GST package that citizens are being offered.

I explained to the Chairman that I was so busy that I had forgotten about the GST package and thanked him for reminding me. It gave me a warm feeling to know that I am so well looked after.

This morning, while brother was sharing with the Assistant Curator of the Singapre Museum in my apartment, the Bangladeshi cleaner delivered a letter to me. He looked so cheerful and happy delivering letters to my neighbours. I was pleasantly surprised when I read that a group of passionate volunteers led by Ms. Alice Sim will be distributing food packages to residents residing in 1 to 3 room flats of Moulmein constituency. Each eligible household is entitled to one package of cereals, salt, cooking oil, instant noodles, cakes and biscuits.

This is my first time staying in a 3 room HDB flat. Prior to this, I had stayed in bigger units and had rented private homes for the sake of my 3 pet dogs. Now that my 3 pets have passed away, I decided to move to a small flat so that it is easier for me to do house cleaning. I had not realised that living in a 3 room flat gives me so many privileges.!

At first I thought I would not take part in the distribution exercise, but wait a minute.... it would be reciprocal for me to accept the good gesture of Ms. Alice Lim and her group of volunteers. All these years, I have been giving to my orphans in Nepal and missionary groups. It would strengthen me spiritually, and refresh me mentally and emotionally to be for once, on the receiving end. Indeed receiving is an art. I know of people who just want to give and give, and it is very hard for them to receive. Perhaps we may say that it is due to pride, upbringing, innate goodness or a strong sense of independence. It is important for us to learn to give and receive for if we keep on giving and giving, we will burn out. Hence this is why it is crucial for us to encourage one another. A pat on the shoulder for someone who has given her best, even if she does not win a contest, will uplift her and spur her on to greater efforts. A hug for a child who has done a good job will motivate him to give more of himself. Monthly tokens of appreciation in the form of pocket money to our parents (even if they do not need it) will warm their hearts. We must also remember to encourage our leaders for they are humans too. Sometimes we forget, taking their dynamicism and talent for granted. They too need to receive positive reinforcement and bouquets so that they will not feel as if they are doing a thankless task.

Further on the art of receiving, we Chinese have something to learn from the Westerners. When people give us something, we often initially try to reject them. We feel paiseh (embarrassed) and do not realise that it is not very gracious for us to reject a good offer of help and kindness. It is more gracious for us as recipients to thank the givers, and to let them know how much we appreciate their kindness and generosity.

Hence, this Sunday morning, I will make my way to the Pek Kio Community Centre at Cambridge Road. I will bring along my camera and write more about the experience in my next article. Indeed, I am quite excited about the event. Until then....

Cheers!

No comments: