Friday, May 02, 2008

The Big Heart of a Servant

When I decided to write a May Day message, little did I expect to receive such an interesting response from a friend.

"Hi Choo,

Thanks for your May Day message. At first I thought it was a message from our Prime Minister, Lee Hsien Loong! You know lah, every year he gives a May Day message.

Not bad, eh. I enjoyed your interesting and inspiring message. Ever think of running for election? We need more women ladies in the Cabinet! If you run for election, I'll not only vote for you, but I'll tell all my friends and family members to do so. Choo on it! That's the way!

Hip! Hip! Hurray for a new lady minister!"

Aileen

Let's see. Although I may have only half the brains of our Prime Minister, I can say I have eaten as much salt as he has, being of the same age. On second thoughts....no, I am happy where I am, doing things in my own quiet and happy way.
Since young, I have always been a good follower and shun the limelight.

About the highest leadership role that I have taken? It has to be the role of Area Governor for U3 in the toastmasters' activities. Bo pian lah (Can't be helped). In order to qualify for the award of Distinguished Toastmaster, I have to serve in a leadership capacity. I am glad my tenure is coming to an end in June. As a toastmaster, I am happier delivering good and inspiring speeches, helping out in language and project evaluations and when time permits, cook my signature dishes to bless everyone at our monthly meetings.

Since young, I have never liked to take on leadership roles such as being a captain in class or a prefect in school. Now as a citizen, I prefer to contribute in my quiet way..... in terms of taxpayer, being a good sibling and a good friend and colleague. I prefer to pen my thoughts on the computer so that I can leave a legacy of my writing to my relatives and readers throughout the world.

I will only take on a leadership role unless circumstances demand it. For eg. this coming term of July to June 2009, I will take up the role of President at Dennis Wee Group Toastmasters' Club, because no one wants to take up the role. As a leader, I hope I can make inspiring speeches in my opening addresses at club meetings and to motivate members to complete their projects diligently. I hope to bring up the club and make meetings fun and interesting for members.

Who wants to be a leader? In fact, as many pastors have often preached, a leader has to be a great servant. He has the big heart of a servant.!

Be a leader! Anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Choo

I am inspired by your article. At first, I was still a bit half-hearted to take up the presidentship in Hong Kah North TMC. After reading your article, I am more inspired to do so..:)

The Oriental Express said...

I am sure with your charming personality and committment, you will excel as the President of Hong Kah North Toastmasters' Club.

All the best in your new role!

Choo