Friday, May 23, 2008

It's a Mad, Mad World!

 

Division leaders who not only have panache in leading, but are creative....and sexy too! The dancers are Mike Rodrigues, Aziz Mustajab, Poh Kim Siong, Goh Wei Koon, all from Singapore and Neil Sy from Hong Kong.
 

With some members from Div. U. The buxom lady in the centre is our Division Governor, Kristina Sharmini. With Chooi Ling on extreme left, and Patricia Lum and mystery guest from Thailand and Saro.
 

Unity in madness.
 
The mad chef cooking a storm for Her Royal Highness, Empress Dowager Tay Yiang Ping.
the Organising Chair of the Convention.

The world of toastmasters can be really MAD. Before anyone thinks we are heading for Woodbridge Hospital, MAD stands for Make a Difference. The theme for this year's convention is MAD - we are all to make a difference in our lives and in the lives of others. This year, Singapore is hosting the District 80 Toastmasters' Convention at Suntec City.

In the afternoon we had a workshop by Anne Barab, DTM, one of the few accredited lady speakers in the world. Her workshop title, "Listen to Me" helped delegates to learn and improve in their art of listening. When the audience learnt that the dynamic, petite and well groomed lady is 60 years of age, everyone went "Wow! Anne Barab looks 20 years younger! She is truly an inspiration!

The highlight of the evening was the "Mad" Welcome Dinner. Everyone had to dress up as madly as possible. I had not gone to the costume shop to hire some outfits. Frankly, being the frugal type, I would be reluctant to dish out $50/- to hire some costumes. $50/- could buy food for my orphan in Nepal for two months. I am still under medication for my flu, and was quite lethargic. However, when I saw the passion and enthusiasm of the organising committee, I knew I had to do something to show support. I decided to wear my apron made by my eldest sister, Lee Lee, and wrote on a piece of paper, "The Mad Chef", Choosamy. Human Head Curry. Only $10/- a bowl". On my cap, I attached a piece of paper which read, "The Mad Chef". I took along an enormous ladle. I did not have time to put my ladle in a bag and just carried it. Suddenly I realised some commuters were smiling when they saw the huge ladle and cap.

I was pleasantly surprised when I was called up for being one of those who qualified as a mad dresser! We had to perform some catwalk and do the limbo rock. My partner, dressed as a Japanese Samurai, was very tall, and it made me feel even shorter! Nevertheless, we came in as runner up.

What an enjoyable evening! Sometimes, it is just wonderful to let our hair down and be mad for a change. Sometimes, we have to be mad in order to retain our sanity. The sane realisation that life is not just about ourselves, but about making a difference to others around us will definitely goad us on....long after the convention is over.

Gan Chau

href='http://picasa.google.com/blogger/' target='ext'>Posted by Picasa

No comments: