Monday, May 05, 2008

A Charming and Dedicated Toastmaster

 

Yati with her lovely and happy kids
 

A Mother's Love is often shown in the dining room!
 

A well designed kitchen for a great cook!
 

Yati, as Second Runner Up in the Area U3 International Speech Contest in April, 2008
Posted by Picasa


One of the greatest joy of being a toastmaster is that I meet people from all walks of life. At every toastmasters' meeting, I learn something. Best of all, I learn from the wonderful examples set by toastmasters I have met. I would like to emulate the examples of these dedicated and examplary toastmasters.

One such example is a lovely Malay lady by the name of Norhayati Mohd. Yunos. Yati, as she is affectionately known, is the treasurer of the Hongkah North Toastmasters' Club. She multi tasks and assists the President, Elissa, in her club. Guests and members would often be treated to Yati's delicious home cooked nasi lemak, mee siam, mee goreng, pastries and desserts during refreshment breaks.

Yati is the mother of four young children. I was quite curious about her when I chatted with her after one meeting, and I decided to visit her family. I was also curious about her new executive masionette which she had renovated. As a housing agent, I am curious about designs for they reveal a lot about their owners. Yati's four children were quite bashful at first, but soon warmed up. Her home was tastefully done, simple, yet elegant, warm and cosy.

Yati has been a toastmaster for two and a half years and has shown her prowess when she emerged as second runner up in the recent Area U3 International Speech Contest.
When I told her that I would like to write an article about her, she was humble and said, "There is nothing special about me."

Yati has not realised that she has touched lives by her quiet helpfulness and committment to her club. She is obviously someone who is an excellent manager of her time. Yati also conducts enrichment classes in Spoken Malay in Raffles Girls' School on a part time basis. When I saw her diligence and dedication, it inspired me to press on with my beliefs and committment to becoming a better speaker and leader.

Terima kasih Yati. Thanks Yati! May you continue to be like the Sun giving out your radiance and warmth to all around you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes. I couldn't agree more. I was equally amazed when I learned that Yati is the mother of 4!! How she could manage to keep up with family, work and so many toastmaster activities. It is simply amazing.