Friday, May 16, 2008

Outside My Windows

 

Tree tops making it unnecessary to put up curtains in my room
 

A lovely city view... Sim Lim Tower and Rochor Centre in the background
 

Magnificent buildings. The tallest building is Swissotel The Stamford Hotel
 

The night scene looks like a picturesque postcard!

I bought my current apartment five minutes after viewing it! I had not looked into the details of facing, direction, surroundings etc. However, everything turned out well. I was thrilled to discover that there were some trees just by my bedroom windows. The thick foliage is like a natural curtain, shielding my room from sight! Yet the foliage is like a big fan, providing the much needed breeze on a hot, sunny day.

I like my apartment to be bright and airy. Hence I have been "curtainless" for years. Curtains are lovely to look at; in fact they give that touch of finesse. However, they are also difficult to wash and being the practical person that I am, I prefer to dispense with curtains. The thick foliage of the trees provide all the privacy that I need!

As the apartment is surrounded by conservation houses, there is no blockage and hence it is usually very windy. I hardly turn on my fan or airconditioners. It makes me very happy to play a small role to help conserve the earth!

Sometimes when I want to relax or write a poem, I will stand by my windows and look at the lovely scenery. I feel so grateful and contented with the breeze blowing on my face. This is such a vast change from my previous abode at Toa Payoh. It is very warm because the morning sun would stream in, and in the afternoon the sun comes right in and the whole unit is heated up. In fact, the apartment is like a sauna, and I had to change my clothes three to four times a day!

At night, the lights look like twinkle twinkle little stars. The night scene looks like a picturesque postcard.

I have lived in ten different places all over Singapore island during the past 2 decades! Strangely, I feel most comfortable here. Although the apartment is right in the heart of the city, it is rather quiet. It is also convenient to go everywhere as the MRT station is just a stone's throw away! The shops and market are also nearby. I hope I do not have to move again.

Gan Chau

No comments: