Monday, May 19, 2008

My Favourite Singer



When I checked in the "Referral" sectiion of my sitemeter, I found someone had googled, "Theresa Teng" and had found my blog. I had once written about Theresa Teng.

Although Theresa had passed away, like Elvis Presley, she is also one of my favourite singers. I can never get tired of listening to her songs. I specially like her rendition in Hokkien dialect. One of my favourite is "Ti orh orh" - "Sky is very dark". The tune is lovely, almost playful, despite the grim title. It tells about the difference between the taste of grandpa and grandma. Grandma prefers her food to be salty, while grandpa likes it more bland, and the two went on to fight till they broke the wok!

I remember when I was in Kuching, my eldest sister Lee Lee, being the music mistress in her school, had trained her girls to sing the song in a choir. "Ti orh orh" was beautifully sung in four parts, with a multi racial group of Chinese, Indian, Malay and Eurasian students!

Oh! I wish Theresa had lived on. The world has lost a singer who was not only beautiful with her voice and personality, but one who was kindhearted and generous.

For the sake of my overseas readers who have never heard Theresa's voice, I have put the u-tube rendition of her song, "Ti Orh Orh". Enjoy it!

Gan Chau

No comments: