Monday, May 12, 2008

Unsung Heroes and Heroines

 

Committed volunteers checking with Ms. Alice Sim
 

Ms. Alice Sim, a compassionate and dynamic leader
 

Volunteers giving out food to the needy
 

A generous donation of 12 edible items

Further to my previous article on "The Art of Receiving" as promised, I had gone to Pek Kio Community Centre to find out more about Ms. Alice Sim and her group of volunteers. Bus 131 brought me right to the doorstep of the Centre. As usual, everything is always well organised in our little country. 6 volunteers were seated at the reception to check on the identity and addresses of the recipients. After the forms had been verified the people were ushered to the collection centre where each received a goodie bag of 12 items. I asked to see Ms. Alice Sim as I wanted to interview her.

An elegant and dynamic lady greeted me. She was armed with a writing pad, and though busy, she granted me some of her precious time. I told her I wanted to write an article in my blog as I want my overseas readers to know what takes place in this little dot on the world map.

As a staunch Buddhist, Alice Sim feels that she would like to emulate the example of Buddha. "Buddha was a prince who gave up his royal comfort to seek enlightenment. Why can't we too forget ourselves - our status, ethnic backgrounds, etc. to come out and do some good for society? This is why, my group of friends and I have been organising such functions for the past 8 years. My friends gave what they could, and my family would top up the difference. Apart from this giving away of food, we also organise annual 10 course Chinese dinners for the elderly and destitute. These people hardly have chance to have sumptuous meals and we want to bless them." I asked for a copy of the menu. Wow! It is indeed sumptuous! The mouth watering menu from Xinhuai Restaurant :-

1. 6 Combination Cold Dish
2. Braised Bowl Shark's Fin Soup
3. Roasted Crispy Quarter Piglet
4. Steamed Fresh Pomfret
5. Boiled Live Prawn with Wine
6. Stir Fried Nai Bai with Scallops
7. Double Boiled Mini Buddha Jump Over the Wall
8. Stewed Pork Sliced with Bun
9. Fried Rice in Lotus Leaf
10. Yam Paste with Pumpkin with Coconut Milk

11. Free Flow of Soft Drinks and Chinese Tea

Wow! 550 elderly folks will be treated to a lovely dinner this coming Saturday evening. I am happy for them!

Alice Sim also revealed that each year, her group spends about $80,000/- for the charity drive. I like the prudence in this business woman. Alice told me that this year, the group has taken rice off the list of items and replaced it with noodles instead. "People are hoarding rice; I do not want to help jack up the price!" I also like the way she handles contingencies. An elderly Malay lady came to the reception. The volunteer staff found out that she lives in a 4 room flat and referred her to Alice. "It's ok. Let her have the bag of goodies. We do not want to turn away people." I agreed with Alice that it is difficult to assume that just because someone stays in a four or five room flat, he is rich. He/she could be desserted by his/her family. Who wants to come a-begging unless he has reasons to do so.? "Hence, I never turned this lady away....she has been coming here for the past 8 years." My family is very supportive of this event too.

I smiled. That's the spirit! I like people who are firm, yet flexible and who do not just go by rules and regulations. I went home, feeling like a lark. I proudly showed brother and his guest, Phoon Yew Tien, the donated food and the photos I had taken. It makes me feel so proud of Alice and her group of volunteers ....the unsung heroes and heroines....who go around playing their part, to make life a little better for their fellowmen! In a country which is well known for her kiasuism (fear of losing out) and kiasism (fear of dying), I find Alice Sim's selfless giving to be refreshing and inspiring. Keep it up, Alice and friends. May God bless you richly even as you give of your money, talent, time and energy.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: