Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Much Ado About Prawn Noodles and Laksa

I have been living in Singapore for more than two decades. Yet, I have never been able to find any Prawn Noodles that can surpass those sold in Penang.

The majority of the Prawn Noodles in Singapore taste bland and unappetizing. Some hawkers just use soya sauce and stock for the soup. In Penang, the hawkers will boil the heads of fresh prawns for hours to create the soup. Hence, you can imagine the difference in taste.

The laksa in Singapore is equivalent to the curry noodles in Penang. Most of the laksa here tend to have too much coconut milk, making the soup somewhat too creamy and rich, and of course, bad for the heart. For those of you who have tried the curry noodles in Penang, you will notice that just enough coconut milk is used so that the soup will not be too creamy. The chilli used is also somewhat different. Many hawkers have their own secret recipe for the chilli which is often cooked for hours.

Penangnites are fastidious with their choice of food. If a hawker does not provide palatable fare, he or she will not be able to survive in the competitive world of hawking food which Penang is famous for.

I feel sad when I taste sub-standard hawker food. The least that these hawkers can do is to ensure that their food is pleasing to their customers. When I cook for my guests and family members, I put my heart and soul into my cooking because I want everyone to be happy. When my guests pat their stomachs with satisfaction, it makes me feel happy and rewarded.

I would advise all those who cook for a living. If you do not love your customers, your cooking will miss one very vital ingredient....love....and your cooking standard can never reach its optimum. Ever wonder why mom's simple fares always taste great....because it is cooked with L O V E!

Gan Chau

No comments: