Friday, May 23, 2008

The Flowers Outside My Apartment

 

Vanessa's antique pram looks cute!
 

The cherry blossoms which I made.
 

The rare bottle given by Vanessa

I had written about the trees and buildings outside of my windows. Now let us look at some of the flowers outside my apartment along the corridors.

I am glad that HDB 3A model flats come with very wide corridors so much so that we can put potted plants as well as some coffee table and chairs for some afternoon tea.

My friend, Vanessa Yong, had given me a huge bottle which was once used to store some acid. I had also bought an antique pram from her. I decided to use the two items for some floral arrangement. In Singapore, our weather is so hot that it is quite difficult to grow flowers unless you go for orchids or bougainvilleas. However orchids are difficult to grow and maintain, and they are quite expensive too. Hence, I have to contend with artificial flowers. Yesterday, I was at the Tanglin Shopping Mall and saw some artificial flowers that looked so real. Of course, the good workmanship comes along with a hefty price. Being the frugal type, I did not buy any. I would have to contend with the cheaper makes.

I still remember my favourite Butchart Gardens in Victoria, Canada. The owners opened up their lovely home and gardens to the public. How I long to have a small little house with a huge garden of flowers! One can save time doing house cleaning while one can enjoy the fresh air and fragrance of flowers in the garden.

I recall an interesting house that I was sent to clean when I worked as a cleaner with Cinderella Maid Services when I was studying in Canada. When I entered to clean one of the bedrooms, lo and behold, potted plants were hanging from the ceilings! Some 20 pots! Instead of a bed, there was only a mattress on the floor and a small writing desk and wardrobe. Quite spartan, yet beautiful in a way, almost like zen design. I was admiring the plants when suddenly I heard a voice behind me, "You like my plants, don't you." I turned around and saw the owner of the room.....a young gentleman with blue eyes. He introduced himself as Andrew, the owners' youngest son. An architectural student, I thought he was quite original with his ideas. Sometimes I toy with the idea of copying Andrew's ideas, but in humid Singapore, it is not quite feasible.

I'm dreaming of a garden with flowers of every hue!




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that pram with flowers is an adorable idea.

Arlene,
Bainbridge Island flowers

The Oriental Express said...

Thanks for your kind comments, Arlene.

All the very best in your floral biz, and may God bless you and staff,

Choo Choo

The Oriental Express said...

Morning Choo

You can come spurce up my garden anytime!!! With your green fingers I'm sure my garden will flourish!! hahaha.....

Then you can always come and enjoy it :-D


Warmest Regards
Melinda

The Oriental Express said...

If only you were my neighbour, Melinda. I can hop over and grow your garden for you and play with your 3 lovely dogs as well! :-)