Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Howling of the Wind

It is now 4.36 a.m. I have just been woken up by the strong wind and I suddenly feel very cold. I went to close the bedroom window, and found the curtains blowing out of the windows.! It was quite difficult for me to bring in the curtains as the wind was so strong. When I closed the windows, I heard a strange sound. It sounded like 50 sports cars were racing! When I looked down, I could see scraps of papers and some plastic bags flying around, and some plastic bags were even swept up seven storeys high!

Gosh! I have never seen anything like this before. I could hear the howling of the wind. It sounded like the revving of hundreds of motorbikes, and becoming louder as the bikes sped off. I could see the trees swaying hard in obedience to the force of the wind. It was quite frightening. Maybe I had always been sleeping soundly when the weather turned windy. Suddenly I think of the recent Cyclone Nargis in Myammar which has caused so much destruction and loss to the people.

Now it is starting to rain and thunder. Looking out of my 5th storey windows, and seeing the rain and hearing the thunder, makes me feel very small and helpless. The Creator of this universe is so mighty and awesome, yet man can be so proud of his own ability. Have you not experienced this when you try to share with someone that this universe is created by an omnipresent and all powerful God? The person would brush you aside, declaring that he does not believe in anything but himself. "So long as I do good, and don't harm anyone, it is enough for me," the person would proudly assert. Yet, many of us unbelieving Thomases would cry out, "Oh God! Please help!" when faced with a force greater than us, threatening to envelop us.

It is more difficult for me to believe that this world happens by chance! It is easier for me to believe that the Creator is one excellent mathematician, scientist and artist. He is not satisfied with one specie of fly....it must be over 150,000 species. He is not satisfied with one type of bee but it must be over 28,500 species! He is not satisfied with one yellow flower.....it must be thousands of varieties and my limited mind only know some of them are called roses, chrysanthemums, orchids, carnations, tulips, daisies, hibiscus, dandelions and sunflowers.

Even as I stood by the window, watching the pelting rain and hearing the roar of thunder, my little heart is at peace. In life, I have to accept both sunshine and thunderstorm. What a wonderful and interesting world we live in!

Gan Chau

No comments: