Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

 

A lovely flower from my potted plant for every wonderful mother in this world!

My friend, Patricia Chew, had sent me a poem entitled, "Mum's Love". I tried to copy it on the computer, but was unsuccessful. I tried to copy it with a pen, but it was so long that I gave up. Only then did I realise how lazy and impatient I had become in writing manually.! I am now used to typing on the computer and with breakneck speed.!

Hence, I decide to share a story about a great mother instead. There was this lady whom I met when I was visiting my eldest sister. She was then about 65 years old, and living alone because her only son and other step children were living elsewhere. She married a widower with 7 children and subsequently had her own son. It was a real blessing because in the olden days, it was quite hazardous for expecting mothers over 40 years of age. Her son was brilliant and when he grew up, he met and fell in love with a beautiful lady. Alas, his fiancee was quite possessive and did not like the way the elderly lady doted on the son. She wanted the son all to herself.

One day, she wrote him a letter to give him the ultimatum, "Choose me or your mother". I also shared this story with my students. "If you were the son, who would you chose?" So many hands shot into the air. Without any hesitation, a student replied, "Of course, I will choose the mother. There're so many fishes in the ocean, but I can have only one mother!" The rest of the students nodded their heads furiously.

I shared with the students that it would have been wiser for the fiancee to love her future mother-in-law. By loving her husband's mother, she would get even more love and appreciation from her husband, and by giving her love, she would end up receiving even more love and happiness. If she had been in the right frame of mind, she would be grateful to the mother for having given her such a wonderful man as a life partner!

The filial son chose the mother without any hestitation. He probably remembered the many years and sleepless nights his mother had gone through to bring him up. Sad to say, he has remained single to this day. The mother has passed away a few years ago, but this experience has made him fight shy of marriage!

I take my hat off to all the wonderful mothers in this world. I am amazed by mothers' ability to stay cool and calm in the face of adveristy, stress and troubles. Especially mothers with more than 3 children.! I specially admire my niece-in-law, Dea, who takes such great care of her 4 hyper-active and intelligent children.

May God conintue to bless all my readers who are mothers. Let yourselves be pampered and forget about the weighing scale. Eat your fill, and with gusto and dance through the night! That's the way, ha ha ha ha! The hands that rock the cradle rule the world!

Gan Chau

Posted by Picasa

No comments: