Saturday, May 03, 2008

A Parrot Called Victor

 

 


My neighbour, Wendy, had told me she was going to "bird sit" her friends' parrot. I was at her home when I heard the chirpring of a bird. Wendy hollered, "Hello Victor, you a good boy.?" There was a kind of interesting sound created by the parrot as if in reply. Wendy told me that the parrot on the floor above her unit always looked out for her. The moment she entered her bathroom, the parrot would know and would holler to her.

My curiosity was aroused and I told Wendy I would like to see the parrot. Wendy invited me for breakfast the following morning, because the parrot would be at her unit, as his owners would have left for a short trip to Tokyo.

Wendy and I were chatting while having breakfast. Now and then, I would turn to Victor and tried talking to him. At times he would turn his head sideways when he recognised some sounds.

After breakfast, we adjourned to the living room. This time, Victor became very talkative. Apparently he did not like to be left alone. While we we in the kitchen, he was quietly enjoying our conversation and companionship, but the moment he was left alone, he did not quite like it. It was funny when Wendy kept asking her pet dog, Shufie to go to the kitchen to keep the parrot company.!

Parrots! I love parrots! I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the Bird Park when I saw and heard the parrots sing in English, Malay and Mandarin! Amazing! One of my friend's father had a parrot who could even sing a Teochew opera! I thank the Creator for making this world such a beautiful and interesting place to live in! How can I ever be sad for too long? When I see the awesome handiworks of the Creator, I become cheerful again.

I told Wendy, maybe the next round, I will volunteer to look after Victor when his owners travel again. I will play the piano and violin for the parrot to hear. Hopefully I can teach him to say a few words too!

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa

No comments: