Tuesday, May 27, 2008

An Average Lady Am I!

I was looking through my old documents. I came across a printed testimonial given by my Form Five teacher, Mrs. C.H. Lee, from Convent Green Lane Secondary School dated 2nd December 1970. I smiled when I saw that I had a 3 which means average + grading for academic ability, reliability, initiative, courtesy, attitude to work, social adjustment, organising ability and other aspects. 4 is average and 5 is below average. 2 is very good while 1 is outstanding. Hence I am right in between outstanding and below average!

I also came across my Certificate of Participation for the 1987 First Vertical Marathon, running up 1,336 steps to the top of the then tallest hotel in the World, The Westin Stamford. I clocked in 23 minutes. I remember the fastest was a lady who clocked in 9 minutes, while the slowest was a lady who did it in 59 minutes. Again I was in the average position!

I am reminded of Professor Higgins in the movie, "My Fair Lady", when he proudly and confidently asserted, "An average man am I! There is something quite comforting about being average in everything. Not being the competitive type, I am quite contented to be somewhere in the middle, where there are people below my position and there are people above me. I remember throughout primary and secondary school, I had always hovered around the 10th to the 15th position in class.... again an average student in a class of 30 students! It can be quite stressful to be in the top position because a lot of hard work and determination are required to remain at the top. The only time when I desired to be top was when I joined essay writing competitions. Papa was quite poor, and it meant a lot to me to be able win the top three positions for it translated into earning cash prizes for excellent articles!

Being average puts me in a humble position. Perhaps some of you may disagree and like my school principal, Sister Adrian, had always said, "You need to try to be at the top so that should you fall, at least you will not fall so low!" My contention is that if you were to fall from a greater height, the pain would be even more excruciating! Hence, I am still happy and contented to remain in mid position so that should I fall, it would not be so painful for me. From midpoint, I can look up and enjoy the clear blue skies, and I can also have a clearer view of the green, green grass. An average lady am I! And happy and contented will I be!

Gan Chau

No comments: