Sunday, March 29, 2009

Much Ado About Weather Changes!

I have been down with flu for the past one ten days. Lots of mucous and aches in the body. I have been to the polyclinic twice. I lost my voice and hence could not be a demo speaker for my friend's speech workshop. I still helped out with table topics as it did not require too much usage of my vocal chords. As I am someone who likes to run about, I get impatient for being sick. My best friend, Soh Wah, would often call me now and then and she told me that a few of her colleagues in the bank were also on medical leave.


Early one morning I woke up and decided to water the plants. Wow! The weather was absolutely gorgeous.......cool, almost like natural air conditioning at 19 degrees! I basked in the coolness and was extremely happy to be showered by the soft, gentle breeze. If my eldest sister were with me, she would probably need a jacket. Yet in the day, the weather was extremely hot! Sometimes I am reminded of the weather in the desert.....extremely hot in the day; and very cold in the night. No wonder, many of our people in Singapore are falling sick.....not being used to the drastic change in weather. Hence the best weather would be one that is neither hot nor cold, that is lukewarm weather.

Perhaps I could analogise the weather with relationship. However, in relationship it is better to be either hot or cold rather than to be lukewarm. It is easy to deal with hot and cold relationship. We are at our greatest ease with our best of friends for we know they love and care for us. We are also on our guard when we know someone does not take to us kindly or is cold towards us. Most difficult are relationships which are lukewarm. We do not quite know where we stand with people who blow between hot and cold. There are husbands and wives who merely tolerate each other for years. They may live in the same house but barely talk to each other. Or we know of people who try so hard to smile when they meet us and we wonder what has gone wrong with them or with us.

I am reminded of God's words in Rev. Chap.3 vs. 15 to 16, "I know your deeds that you are neither cold nor hot.I wish you were either one or the other. So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth".

Gan Chau

No comments: